Wednesday, May 12, 2010

a Bit of a Scuffle

The past few months have been really challenging! We’ve started mountain bike riding, our Congregation is doing great, I’ve made some special new friends and life’s been all round hectic! It has escalated to the point where I am now forced to re-evaluate my priorities and plan my time accordingly. Isn’t it amazing how we all know that it’s supposed to work that way, and still end up a bit overwhelmed when we start to drop some of the balls we’re juggling? Amazing.

During this adventurous process of determining and sorting through my priorities, I’ve been struck by precisely how important this blog is to me. The things I share with you on this blog are the things that have changed my life forever. I am passionate about sharing with you who Christ is! Christ is the answer to the question, no matter what that question may be. Therefore, I will continue writing whatever God has laid upon my heart to share.

In Luke 10 Jesus is visiting with his friends Mary and Martha. Martha is cooking up a storm in the kitchen whilst Mary is sitting with Jesus and enjoying His good company. Martha then comes and complains to Jesus that her sister (Mary) is being lazy and asks Him to reprimand her. But Jesus responds contrary to what Martha was expecting; He said that Mary had chosen the good/better portion. But what is really interesting about this portion, is that the Amplified Bible says the following: “But Martha [overly occupied and too busy] was distracted with much serving; and she came up to Him and said, Lord, is it nothing to You that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me [to lend a hand and do her part along with me]!”

According the original Greek intent of this verse, Martha was actually distracted by her tasks, in actual fact the word used here is: serving. Martha was distracted by her serving! Now, didn’t we grow up with the idea that serving is a spiritual thing? Isn’t it true that what we do for God is always spiritual? Well, not according to Jesus. Martha was serving for Jesus and He said that Mary actually chose the good portion!

“But the Lord answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful: for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” Jesus is saying that it is more beneficial for us to receive from Him, than to serve for Him. Jesus doesn’t need our service, but we, in turn, do need that which He has to offer:

1John 4:9 In this the love of God was made manifest (displayed) where we are concerned: in that God sent His Son, the only begotten or unique [Son], into the world so that we might live through Him.

Christ offers his love, peace, prosperity and joy – His offer on the table: To be your life. To live and move within us so that nothing in this world will ever again depend on our own performance, but will always entirely depend on his finished work.

No comments: