Friday, July 3, 2009

Lemons and aquariums

Yesterday my son came home and he was very excited about a car that he saw at the local mall, a 'Volvo C 30', a car he saw in one of his favorite movies. Most of us has a favorite car, which we dream about, especially men. And our dreams consist of driving at high speeds, driving in some or other luxury, and then the dream comes to an abrupt halt, when we realize the cost of that particular car! But we almost never dream of a car, doing things that cars don’t do!

This made me think of something Jesus said just before He was captured in John 15: 1-5:
“ I AM the True Vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser. (2) Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit [that stops bearing] He cuts away (trims off, takes away); and He cleanses and repeatedly prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit, to make it bear more and richer and more excellent fruit. (3) You are cleansed and pruned already, because of the word which I have given you [the teachings I have discussed with you]. (4) Dwell in Me, and I will dwell in you. [Live in Me, and I will live in you.] Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me. (5) I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.”

Jesus says I am a branch implanted in Him, the Vine, already pruned by the Word, and by abiding (staying) in Him, much fruit will be seen in my life! And in this example, it is impossible for a branch to bring forth something else than grapes, like lemons for instance! What we need to see here is that Jesus is the Word, He took our pruning and cleansing from all sin and unrighteousness on Him, and because of this, we were made to be His branches, clean (righteous) and fruitful! And what we need to do is stay in Him, by focusing on the Word and to stay in fellowship with His Spirit. (2Cor 3:18)

When ‘fruit’ is mentioned in this context, we spontaneously think about the fruit of the Spirit which Paul writes about in Galatians 5:22-23:
“But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, (23) Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].”

The role of the Holy Spirit should be understood here, He came to lead us into all Truth. (John 16:13) So what He is doing, is showing us Christ (the Truth) in us, and as we see Him, His character becomes visible in us, and also through us! And it is His character we read about in Galatians 5:22-23, the only fruit, we were designed to bring forth, those of us who are new creations in Him. (2Cor5:17)

If we understand this by His Spirit, something happens on my inside, I see that Christ has dealt with everything that is against the Will of God, and that I do not want to sin anymore- because that is not who I am! I want to love people, I want to be patient and not “lose” it, I want to be friendly, because this is who I am! (Gal 2:20)

Sin is translated as “to miss the mark”, where the Mark, is Jesus Christ, and taking it a bit further, the word “mark” is translated as “character” from the original language, which means that, “sin” is missing His character in me- the same as a branch bringing forth lemons or a car used as an aquarium!

Please comment, add or ask- I pray that the Holy Spirit will enlighten the eyes of your heart, to see Him! And remember: you are His beloved!

No comments: