Tuesday, July 21, 2009

You need(ed) help!

It's absolutely amazing how the weather can change within the range of 600 kilometres! We came back from a lovely holiday on the East coast of South Africa, and back at home, it is about 10 degrees Celsius, on average, colder than at the coast! Nevertheless it is good to be back, being what God has called me to be! I have started preparing for the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Race in November, and believe that all my goals will be met concerning this challenge, although it is still on the trainer indoors! There is also a feeling in my heart, that our building project is going to take of, and that we will be moving soon from the place that we are renting at this stage!

I would like to take this opportunity to share something with you, that has happened to us while on holiday. We visited friends in Umhlanga Rocks before we went down to Port Edward for a few days. On our way down we stopped at a favorite place, the Waffle House, to uphold a small family tradition! The Waffle House is situated in Ramsgate, next to a busy road which is the alternative route for the N2 highway. We parked in the parking area for the restaurant on the opposite side of this road. As we stood next to the road, waiting for a chance to cross the road, an elderly couple and their daughter, about 50 years old, were also standing next to the road, waiting to cross over to the other side. All of a sudden the old lady started running over the busy road, right in front of an oncoming car- I just stood there, without twitching, while her husband was shouting at the top of his lungs! I was sure that this car was going to hit her, but she turned around, and the car swung, and missed her by literally an inch! as she turned, she fell, while another car was coming towards her! This time I was sure that she was going to be hit and in the corner of my eye, I could see my wife running away! Amazingly the car stopped before it hit her, and she was helped to her feet and over the road. I cannot describe the shock, we had to go for a little walk, just to get our 'thoughts' together. I really wanted to explain to this old lady in no 'uncertain' terms, what I thought of the situation and her irresponsible behaviour, but felt led to leave it at that.

Two things to learn from this experience: if you need help to do something, take it, there is nothing to prove! There are people placed around us with a certain and specific purpose, and the only thing you are doing by not accepting their help, is stealing their purpose! I asked my children to remind me of this when I get to that age, or to a place where I will need people.

The second thing is the most important: God knew we could not do it on our own, so He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, so that we could live through Him! Read the following Scriptures and rejoice in the Lord:

Galatians 2:20-21 (20) I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me. (21) [Therefore, I do not treat God's gracious gift as something of minor importance and defeat its very purpose]; I do not set aside and invalidate and frustrate and nullify the grace (unmerited favor) of God. For if justification (righteousness, acquittal from guilt) comes through [observing the ritual of] the Law, then Christ (the Messiah) died groundlessly and to no purpose and in vain. [His death was then wholly superfluous.]

Hebrews 13:5-6 (5) Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] (6) So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?


Galatians 5:25 If we live by the [Holy] Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. [If by the Holy Spirit we have our life in God, let us go forward walking in line, our conduct controlled by the Spirit.]

Hebrews 13:20-21 (20) Now may the God of peace [Who is the Author and the Giver of peace], Who brought again from among the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, by the blood [that sealed, ratified] the everlasting agreement (covenant, testament), (21) Strengthen (complete, perfect) and make you what you ought to be and equip you with everything good that you may carry out His will; [while He Himself] works in you and accomplishes that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ (the Messiah); to Whom be the glory forever and ever (to the ages of the ages). Amen (so be it).


Now that is Good News- God providing everything He requires of us! Shall we keep on refusing His offer? (Hebrews 4)


Feel free to leave a comment, ask a question, or add something. And remember: He really loves you!

1 comment:

Johan Stemmet said...

Hi Warren
Now I know why Warren(jr) looked so serious on the pic you posted om Twitter when you visited the Waffle House, must have been in shock about the irresponsible old lady. Thanks for the post