Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Race report and...

On Sunday, 15 November 2009, my wife and I took part in the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Race in Johannesburg, and what a day! The weather was perfect for cycling, and the atmosphere was absolutely electric! There were 26 000 participants and getting to the starting line is an achievement all on its own! Fortunately we were there in time and we started to push our way through thousands of cyclists in order to get to our group. This year’s race was really something; I was not only doing this one at my wife’s side, but our friends’ 11 year old son (Wessel) joined us as well. I’ve mentioned him in some of my previous posts...




Me, Mariette and Wessel before the start



At the start


I had to slow down my pace in order to stay with Mariette, and Wessel had to slow down for both of us!! He could keep himself in check for only the first 25km, where after we only saw him again at the finish line. Well done Wessel! The little man actually called it the “94.7 easy”! (http://weaselattack.blogspot.com)

Mariette and I, however, continued to complete the race at a steady pace. We enjoyed the hundreds of spectators who were there to cheer us on and as the temperature kept rising closer to midday; we made sure to visit every water point with Coke, cold water and energy drinks. We finished the race without and flat wheels or mechanical difficulties, in 3 hours and 54 minutes. Even though I did this same race last year in less than 3 hours, I feel so blessed with this year’s race. The fact that I could participate was a miracle!

When we entered for the race, four months ago, I was not physically able to ride a bicycle. I couldn't keep my balance on the thing and frequently involuntarily steered off the road. Even though I couldn't stay on the bike (physically), I held on to what I understood as a Rhema word from God: through His wounds, I am healed (1 Peter 2:24). How amazing is God?! I was able to prepare for the race on the trainer at home a couple of weeks prior to the race.

Because I wasn’t as fit for this race as I was with last year’s; I had to decide on a new aim for this race – I couldn’t race for time. So, I raced WITH my wife. Because we weren’t pushing for any time window, we took everything as it came and enjoyed the sights of the city of Johannesburg. Wow. I say again: how amazing is God?! He gave Mariette and I such a special time together on those bikes. We just can’t wait to start training again for next year’s big race in March.

Here is just something I’d like to share with you, a little something special…

God created the water animals by speaking to the waters. God created the land animals by speaking to the earth. God created man, by speaking to Himself!

Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly and swarm with living creatures, and let birds fly over the earth in the open expanse of the heavens

Genesis 1:26 God said, Let Us [Father, Son, and Holy Spirit] make mankind in Our image, after Our likeness, and let them have complete authority over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, the [tame] beasts, and over all of the earth, and over everything that creeps upon the earth.

And thus it came to pass that all the water animals are sustained by that which is of the water, the land animals are sustained by that which is of the earth AND man is sustained by God. And woman? Where do woman come into the picture? Well, how did she come into the picture in the first place? Woman was formed from the rib of the man… therefore; woman came from man. As a result, woman is sustained by man (her husband), from whom she was created (being close by his side – rib).

Genesis 2:22-23 (22) And the rib or part of his side which the Lord God had taken from the man He built up and made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. (23) Then Adam said, This [creature] is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of a man.

This is such a perfect illustration of the relationship between Christ and the Church that is explained in Ephesians 5. When a man is in relationship with God (through Jesus Christ), his relationship with his wife will be what God intended it to be. When a woman moves into her role (at the side of her husband – because they are ‘one’ after all), she will be content and fulfilled.

Dear friend, don’t waste time. Enjoy the gift God had given you in your husband/wife.

In my next post we will continue in our Pursuit of Truth.








No comments: